Concrete Sealing Adelaide
What is concrete sealing?
Concrete sealers are applied to concrete to protect against water penetration, surface damage, corrosion, and staining. They either obstruct the pores in the concrete to lessen the absorption of water and salts, or form an impermeable layer which keeps such materials from passing through.
Concrete is typically a blend of water, Portland cement, and aggregate. When mixed, the concrete becomes slurry and is poured and hardens into the material you are more familiar with. This material may also include rebar or steel support. Added substances and retarders might be included at the time of the pour to expand the strength or slow the drying time.
Tools are typically used to float the concrete which will make it smooth. As the concrete cures, it then hardens. Concrete does not dry out on its own but undergoes a slow chemical process that solidifies it. When concrete isn’t properly cured, it can lead to various problems including, cracking and dusting. The cure and seal can be used by a contractor to speed up the curing process; keeping the concrete hydrated and protected.
One of the best examples of the effectiveness of concrete sealers is your driveway.
As a homeowner, wouldn’t you want to do everything in your power to protect your biggest investment?
Many homeowners often ignore the importance of sealing their driveways. However, concrete driveways, especially in climates that experience freeze/thaw cycles, or have a mediterranean climate like South Australia, will benefit immensely from infiltrating and topical sealers that strengthen the surface and repel water, mold, oil, and salt.
This type of proper maintenance of your driveway and concrete surfaces around your home spares you money in the long run and is always worth the minimal upfront investment.
Why choose us for your concrete sealing
The Driveway Doctor isn’t just a driveway maintenance company.
Our company has been built differently from the beginning; our difference is in the foundation we are building on.
Our objectives have been set with our customers, environment and social responsibilities as our focus.
We set out to create a company that is different, a company that resembles what an environmentally conscious company should look like, a company that is built to give as it grows, and a company that hasn’t got profit as its primary driver, but the customers needs.
We donate $10 from every job to charities.
More than that, we lead the way to be an environmentally conscious company from the start through planting trees and supporting habitat regeneration projects too.
Our Crack Repair Process
- #1 Contact our friendly staff to arrange an obligation-free quote.
- #2 Our staff will ensure all your crack repair requirements are taken care of.
- #3 Our environmentally friendly crack repair methods will ensure satisfaction every time.
- #4 All our repair staff hold white cards and full OH&S accreditation to ensure the best work practices.
- #5 Your job will be completed on time and to the highest professional standards.
The Driveway Doctor for Crack Repair Adelaide
- Obligation-free quotes.
- Price Beat Guarantee – we will beat any genuine written quote from a reputable concrete maintenance company.
- Environmentally friendly products, methods and materials.
- Best work practices every time with white card and full OH&S accreditation.
- $10 from every job is donated to a charity of your choice, or one of our selected quality charities.
The Driveway Doctor is a 100% South Australian family owned and operated the company.
We hold all relevant certificates in Construction, Real estate, and Business.
In addition, our team holds white cards and is educated in all OHS&W procedures.
As a South Australian based concrete and driveway maintenance company, we bring all the necessary experience and qualifications required to provide our industry leading services.
We aim to please our customers time after time and will bring you the best maintenance service possible no matter your needs.
More than a business, we are committed to our work and to all South Australian homes, charities, products, and families.
The Concrete Sealing Step by Step Process
Here are some tips to help apply concrete sealer properly.
Regardless of the brand of sealer you choose to use, be sure to follow the specific instructions recommended by the product manufacturer, since they may differ from the general guidelines given here.
Here’s the step-by-step summary guide of how to seal concrete:
- Remove all oil, stains, dirt, grease, and dust from the concrete.
- Strip any existing sealer from the surface.
- Open up the concrete using an etching solution.
- Apply a thin coat of sealer with a roller or a sprayer.
- Wait for the first layer of sealer to dry up.
- Then, apply a second coat in the opposite direction.
- Lastly, allow the sealer to fully dry before walking or driving on the concrete.
- Although we understand people do attempt DIY sealer application, it’s very rare to see it go as planned with surface prep the number one culprit for coating failures well before they’re supposed to so please either do your due diligence and get the right equipment or get a professional to assist you, with The Driveway Doctor, your results are guaranteed!
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you want to protect your driveway from cracking, weather, water damage, staining and general deterioration then yes. Improving your surface’s longevity early on will benefit you in the long run by saving you the hassle of mending potential hazards like holes and cracks later on.
- On top of preventing corrosion and surface damage, stain prevention is one of the benefits of concrete sealing. The seals obstruct the pores in the concrete to lessen the absorption of water and salts which help prevent overall stains from seeping through and sticking around.
- Sealing creates an impermeable layer that repels water, mold, oil and salts. The seals strengthen the concrete so nothing passes through which will help to prevent efflorescence on your surface.
- Sealing costs vary per job but you should expect to pay around $10-16 per square foot. Contact our friendly team for your own competitive quote.
- You can purchase mostly cheap sealers at many hardware stores but if you choose to do the job yourself remember to follow the product manufacturer guidelines exactly. Generally the process involves preparing the surface by removing all oil, dirt and dust, stripping existing sealer, applying a thin coat of sealer with a roller or a sprayer and then applying a second coat. Make sure you let it dry fully and remember to always follow the safety instructions.
- Most sealers have a lifespan that ranges between 3 -10 and up to 15 for the highest quality but longevity is contingent upon traffic, surface type and weather exposure as well as care routine.
- Water-based products are considered the most eco friendly and sustainable, they also have the shortest life. Here at the Driveway Doctor, we are committed to not only protecting your hard surfaces, but also your family and four legged friends. The products that we use to do this work are food friendly and safe for your family, of course there are some serious acrylic sealers out there with high level aromatics, they often are the products that are used by our competition because they believe them to last the longest however, technology is changing and we have access to these leading products that outlast the harshest acrylic sealers by a very large margin and remain food safe whilst being low voc!
- It’s best to apply sealer in dry conditions to avoid haziness, loss of adhesion or delamination. Air temperatures are also important and should be at least above 10 degrees celsius during the process and 24 hours after application.
- While designed to maintain durability, concrete sealers can be slippery if not treated correctly, especially when wet. Make sure you use high quality products to ensure slip resistant floors. Not sure which product is best suited for your job? Give us a call and we’ll be happy to advise you!
- Polished, slick and clean. A sealed surface adds value to your home and will not only be safer for you and your family but much more cost effective in the long run due to its high durability.
Here at Driveway Doctors we provide multiple concrete sealing services. Give us a call for an obligation-free quote.